Winfield Mayor Passes Away Following Bout with Cancer

Winfield, TN (2018-10-10) Winfield Mayor Virgil David Cecil passed away Tuesday morning following a two-year battle with cancer.  He is the first elected official to pass away in office since 2013.

Mayor V. David Cecil with his wife, Virginia

Dave, as he was known to most everyone, was an entrepreneur and politician that operated many successful businesses in the Winfield community including a service station, pawn shop and mulch yard, and built several homes in the area.   He began his political career in 2002, when he was appointed to the Winfield City Council to fill the unexpired term of Kenny Burchfield, who had just been elected Mayor.  Dave was elected in 2004, and then again in 2008.  He was serving as the city’s Vice-Mayor, when ran for and was elected Mayor in 2010.  He was re-elected Mayor in 2014 and was seeking re-election to the office in November before his untimely death.

Of all the things he had done in his life, serving his community was probably his most revered.  “He took this job very seriously and worked tirelessly for his community,” a family spokesman said.

While Dave was born in McCreary County, KY, he spent 22 years in Louisville, KY, where he worked as a tool and die maker for International Harvester.  After the plant closed in 1983, he went to work for Tecumseh in Somerset, Kentucky.  He then moved to Winfield.

Dave is survived by his wife of 56 years, Virginia Taylor Cecil, one daughter Susan Zimlich of Louisville and one son, Joseph D. Cecil of Winfield.

A memorial service will be held at 12:00 p.m. Saturday, October 13, 2018 at Millcreek Methodist Church in Sawyer, Kentucky. Visitation will be held from 10:00 a.m. until the time of service.  In lieu of flowers, the family has requested donations be made to:  The McCreary Christian Center, P.O. Box 363, Whitley City, Kentucky 42653.

Sheriff Mike Cross was the last elected official to die in office.  Cross succumb to cancer in December 2013.  Circuit Court Clerk Jan Burress passed away while serving the community in December 2004.  She likewise died from cancer.