Two Killed in Winfield Traffic Accident

UPDATED:  May 19, 2016 @ 6:00 p.m.

Winfield, TN (2017-05-19) Two people were killed in a traffic collision in Winfield Friday morning.

Jeffrey N. Maney, age 28, and Margaret (Gayle) Bridges, age 60, both of Winfield were killed Friday morning in a two-vehicle traffic crash on Scott Highway just south of the Pine Grove Road intersection.  According to an accident report filed by Trooper Michael Wilson of the Tennessee Highway Patrol, Maney was northbound in his 2010 Nissan Sentra, when he reportedly crossed into the southbound lane.  Maney’s car reportedly struck a 2013 Kia Optima, which was driven by Bridges.

Both drivers died at the scene.  According to the report, neither victim was buckled up.  In Trooper Wilson’s opinion, seat belt usage would have made a difference.

While the report doesn’t clarify why Maney crossed into the other lane, witnesses near the scene said he was attempting to pass another vehicle when the accident occurred.

The accident, which was first reported around 9:45 a.m., backed up traffic in the area for nearly four hours, as detours around that particular stretch of road aren’t easily accessible; especially for larger vehicles.

A critical incident response team from the Tennessee Highway Patrol was reportedly sent to investigate; a process that took nearly two hours.  Emergency responders were also faced with other obstacles, including periods of heavy rain.


Winfield, TN (2017-05-19) Two people have reportedly been killed in a traffic collision in Winfield Friday morning.

Emergency workers are still on the scene of a two vehicle traffic accident in the 23000 block of Scott Highway in Winfield, which reportedly resulted in the death of at least two people.  While the investigation continues, preliminary reports from witnesses near the scene say a northbound vehicle attempted to pass another on the straight stretch of highway and pulled into the path of a southbound car.   The two collided in the southbound lane.

The identities of the victims have not been released.  The Tennessee Highway Patrol has dispatched an accident reconstruction team to investigate.

The accident, which was first reported around 9:45 a.m., shut down that stretch of highway for much of the morning.  UPDATE: As of 1:55 p.m., the road has been reopened; however, expect delays through the area until traffic clogs clear.

WBNT will continue to follow this breaking story and bring you the latest.